We are hosting We should cocoa this month, so we just had to join in the fun. This month's theme is eggs and this recipe using eggs in two formats, the traditional hens type and liberal quantities of Crispy chocolate eggs. I am really happy as well as this post gave me the opportunity to utilise this beautiful Emma Bridgewater plate in the photography, which appropriately enough features both feathers and eggs in its design, I just love it....
The bake is a perfect Mothers Day or Easter treat and is a lovely easy recipe even though its gluten free, better the day after baking so the banana flavour is more prominent. Loosely based on a Good Housekeeping recipe but made gluten free.
Eggs are a celebration of Spring and new life so have a go and bake yourself a celebration of the new season.
You will need
- 50ml Sunflower oil
- 3 medium eggs - free range - beaten
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 ripe bananas -mashed
- 225g plain Greek yogurt
- 300g plain flour - gluten free
- 1tsp bicarb
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthum gum *
- 150g chocolate hazelnut spread (check gluten free, most are)
To make topping
- 2tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1tbsp milk - skimmed
- 1 - 2 bags of chocolate crispy eggs - smashed (check gluten free)
2 * 2lb loaf tins - lined
- Pre heat oven to 160c
- Line your loaf tins - I use the prepared liners from the £ shop, but greaseproof paper will work fine too.
- Whisk the oil, eggs and sugar in a stand mixer bowl until pale, light and fluffy
- Add the banana, yogurt and flour, bicarb and baking powder and quickly mix, until you have an incorporated batter.
- Divide the mixture into two, into one half mix in the chocolate hazelnut spread
- Dollop (great word) blobs of each mixture into the prepared tins and then swirl with a knife to create the marbling.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 1 hour and 10 - 20 minutes, until you cakes are well risen and test cooked with a skewer.
- Cool in the tins on a wire rack
- To decorate when cool, mix the chocolate hazelnut spread with the milk and drizzle on to the top of your loaves, sprinkle with the smashed crispy chocolate eggs.
- Serve in decadent slices, store in the fridge covered with foil for a couple of days if it lasts that long.
We are also linking up to Dom over at Belleau Kitchen for Simply Eggcellent
To Caroles Chatter - Food on Friday - Easter Foods
Bake of the Week - Over at Casa Costello and new co host Maison Cupcake