Sunday 12 February 2012

Goosnargh Cakes


For my Mum's 80th Birthday tea I was requested to bake amongst other things a batch of  Goosnargh Cakes by my eldest sister, these local cake / biscuits were also know as spell cakes in my childhood household. I can't recall baking them before but my Mum insists she used to bake them regularly as they were a favourite of my Father. 
Goosnargh by the way is a Lancashire village,  pretty much now subsumed by the Greater Preston but which is the home to other famous culinary delights as well as the cakes,  Goosnargh Duck, Goosnargh Chicken to name but two.
Caraway is an acquired taste a metholly aniseed taste, so go carefully with the quantity added to the mixture.

Ingredients

  • 3 oz butter
  • 2 oz caster sugar
  • 6 oz Plain Flour
  • 1 dessertspoon caraway seeds
Method
  • Sieve your flour and sugar into a bowl, rub in your butter
  • Add the caraway seeds and mix well
  • Lightly flour a board and press out your mixture to about a 1/4 of an inch thick
  • Use a cutter to cut out round to your desired size.
  • Place on a greased baking sheet
  • Bake in a moderate oven about 160c ish, do not allow to brown
  • They are cooked when just firm
  • Dust with caster sugar and allow to cool fully before removing from tray.

7 comments:

Choclette said...

Ahh, a pastry type of cake. They sound good, I like caraway. In fact they are very similar to Garibaldi biscuits I've just made - only yours are fatter and flavoured with caraway rather than currents. Very interesting, thank you Linzi.

JaynesDen said...

These cakes look good. The caraway seeds will provide quite a strong taste. I love the name too.

AG said...

My husband's from Lancaster so I'm very familiar with these! :) They look yummy! I can see why this is a popular post, finally getting around to following you now, too!

Rachel Cotterill said...

I grew up in that area, and have been to Goosnargh, but for some reason I hadn't heard of these. I'll have to try them now!

Ruth Harwood said...

never seen these before, thanks, gonna give it a try xx

Unknown said...

They used to be sold by a confectioners ( now shut down) at the bottom of Friargate in Preston.I love them- I love caraway seed cake as well. I've never had much luck getting the biscuit dough to stick together but I'm going to give this recipe a go xx

HeartSong Normandie said...

Love this recipe & the addition of caraway. Great in breads & sweet dishes too

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...