Well its that time of year again when our courgette plants are yielding a courgette a day and my quest is to find new and novel ways to serve this vegetable. This recipe came about as a way to use up the part bags of pasta that you often find lurking in the cupboard waiting for a little love, it works fine with gluten free pasta which I find remains al dente for longer than normal pasta.
I also spotted that this months cooking with herbs had the theme of basil, at its peak flavour wise at this time of year, I combined it with mint for a pesto flavour twist and lots of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. A delicious, frugal and tasty dish, rich in courgettes and herbs. This dish is healthy and fresh tasting and makes use of some great seasonal ingredients that just sing summer.
What you need
- Courgettes (Zucchini) - approx 3 medium sized cut into 2cm slice, cut in half
- Olive oil - good drizzle
- Fresh basil- 3 sprigs
- Fresh garden mint - 3 sprigs, leaves picked off
- Parmesan cheese - handful
- Cooked pasta (cooked to the instruction on the packet)
- Black pepper - freshly ground
What you do
- Toss the chopped courgettes with olive oil and place on an oven tray
- Roast in the oven at 180c for about 40 minutes or so until the courgettes are softened and tinged golden brown
- Whilst the courgettes are roasting, cook the pasta so that it ready when the courgettes are ready.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the roasted courgettes and oil , add the cheese and the herbs torn into small pieces
- Toss and then serve with freshly ground black pepper
I'm including this post in this months cooking with herbs, whose theme this month is basil. Created by Lavender and Lovage and hosted also this month by Karen too.
I am also linking to Pasta Please created by Tinned Tomatoes and Hungry Healthy Happy, hosted this month by Hungry Healthy Happy, the theme is a pasta dish healthy or lightened.
And also to Eat Your Greens over on Allotment2Kitchen.