I try wherever possible to make my baking healthy, I am great believer in the positive benefits of a piece of cake and if it healthy too then great. This recipe features low fat or no fat yogurt, something I normally have in my fridge, the fabulous anti oxidant rich blueberry , but you could use blackberry if that works for you and the cholesterol reducing oat. Cinnamon is also featured ( one of my favourite spices ) which supposedly has the properties to help regulate blood sugar levels.
What I do know is it tastes good, so hopefully its doing you good too. Based on an american recipe for mufffins,I have pimped its health content by adding the oats and spices.
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1 3/4 cups of plain flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of caster sugar
- 2/3 cup low fat / no fat plain yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup skimmed milk
- 2 eggs - free range
- 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon - to make cinnamon sugar
- Pre heat your oven to 180C
- Spray a 2lb loaf tin with oil spray
- Mix your first 7 ingredients in a bowl
- Whisk up in a second bowl, your eggs, yoghurt, milk, and lemon juice
- Add the wet mixture to your dry mixture and stir until well mixed
- Pour / scoop into your prepared tin
- Sprinkle the top with your cinnamon sugar
- Bake for approx 35-45 mins until well risen, golden and when tested with a coktail stick cooked through
- Cool in tin, serve in chunky slices.