I have been rummaging through my recipe archive and a came across a recipe for this delicious dessert / cake. It features the deliciously delicate flake chocolate, as far as I know only Cadbury's makes flakes. So apologies if you can't get hold of this chocolate if you aren't in the UK.
The resulting bake is a tender apple scented delight, you can serve when cold with cream or ice cream or unadorned.
- 350g plain flour
- 125g butter
- 125g caster sugar
- Vanilla sugar for sprinkling
- Large chocolate flake
- 2 or 3 cooking apples
- Preheat your oven to 180c fan / 200c non fan
- Rub the butter into the flour and then stir in the caster sugar
- Butter a loose bottomed or spring formed cake tin ( roughly 22cm)
- Press down 1/3 of the crumble mixture into your tin
- Crumble over the flake and cover the base
- Slice your apples finely and arrange evenly over the chocolate layer
- Sprinkle with your vanilla sugar
- Pour on the rest of the crumble on top of the apples
- Pat down gently
- Bake for 25 -35 mins until lightly golden
- Leave to cool in the tin and then carefully remove the tin sides.