I have never made Kiwi cupcakes before despite this being a fruit I often enjoy eating, I like the combination of juicy fruity almost opal fruit flavour and bright green flesh. They are however not a fruit that immediately springs to mind when you fancy baking.
I think kiwi fruit are cute, like little furry creatures that live in the fruit bowl and there are numerous ways of accessing the bright green flesh, my preferred method being slicing and I have made kiwi fruit jam in the past with great success.
For this recipe you can dress with butter cream and a kiwi slice or just leave plain and sprinkle with demerara sugar for some crunch. Its an easy tasty bake which works with gluten free flour as well as normal wheat flour.
What you need
- 2 large kiwi fruits or 4 small kiwi fruits, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg - free range
- 1 cup skimmed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1/4 cup coconut oil - melted
- Demerara sugar - for sprinkling
- Buttercream (optional)
- Slices of Kiwi for decoration
- Large muffin cake cases
What you do
- Pre heat the oven to 200c /180c fan
- Line the cupcake tin with the case cakes
- Beat the eggs, oil, milk and vanilla together in a large bowl, I used my mixer.
- Sieve the flour,baking powder, cinnamon, sugar and salt into the bowl and mix together quickly
- Fold in the chopped kiwi fruit
- Spoon the mixture into the cake cases - this mixtures makes approximately 12 large muffins / cupcakes.
- Sprinkle the tops with demerara sugar if using
- Pop into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or so until well risen, golden and cooked through when tested with a cocktail stick
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack
- When fully cool, decorate with buttercream if you wish
I'm entering this post to this months Alphabakes hosted by The More than the occasional baker , the letter this month being K - for Kiwi fruit in this case.
And to Bake of the Week hosted by Casa Costello
And also to Treat petite over at Cakeyboi, the theme this month being "Anything Goes"
Love Cake Jibberjabber - the theme this month is Back to School - Something new. As I said earlier in the post I haven't baked with Kiwi fruit previously.