I love fish pie, nursery comfort food at its best. This week I decided to make a variation on the classic and it proved a popular dish, definately something I would make again. Pretty economical too as I was able to utilise mostly ingredients from the freezer or store cupboard, the tasty dish is gluten free and utilsed some of the stock powder I had kindly been sent by Essential Cuisine.
I really like Essential cuisines range of stocks as they are not over salted and very tasty, they are very like homemade stock, light in colour and allergy friendly. The smoked haddock I used in this recipe was from a frozen pack but I prefer if possible to use undyed smoked haddock if you can get it, any other white smoked would work too. The peas were frozen petit pois but you could easily use ordinary peas if that is all you have. I had the leeks and creme fraiche in the fridge and potatoes in the cupboard.
What you need
- 2 smoked haddock fillets, skinned and de boned - cut into bite size pieces
- 2 leeks, topped tailed and cleaned. Cut in to fine circles
- Essential cuisine fish stock powder - make to about 150ml stock
- Creme fraiche
- Frozen petit pois / peas - ramekin full
- Salt and pepper
- Potatoes ( 1 used 2 large poatatoes for 2 people)
- Butter or vegetable oil
What you do
- Gently heat a little butter or oil in a large frying pan, add the leeks and cook for a few minutes until they are starting to soften
- Add the fish pieces and cook very gently until just coloured, now add the peas to the pan and the creme fraiche (I used about 2 tbsp), the fish stock and dill.
- Simmer gently until you have a sauce of your desired thickness, if necessary thicken with slaked cornflour. (Slaked is when the cornflour is mixed into a paste with little water or milk or stock). Taste and season
- Place the pie filling in your chosen dish and allow to cool
- Meanwhile cook your potatoes for your mash, once ready then mash with a little butter and season to taste
- Place the mashed potatoes on top of your pie
- Pre heat the ove to 180c and bake for approx 25 minutes until golden on top and the sauce is bubbling
- Serve immediately