Saturday is often the day is our household when I get round to baking, I always like if it all possible to have some form of cake to hand in case of unexpected visitors but also just to provide the comfortable feeling that if you want something sweet with your cup of tea, you have some lovely homemade cake to hand.
This is such a recipe, not the most glamorous of cakes but that's not what we are talking about here, its about home comforts and this cake fits the bill. An easy tray bake and stores well for a few days in an airtight tin.
- 1 cup soft butter or margarine
- 2 cups sugar - caster
- 2 eggs - free range please
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 apples, chopped and peeled
- cinnamon sugar for sprinkling ( 1tbsp demarara sugar mixed with 1tsp cinnamon)
- Preheat your oven to 180c and oil a large oblong roasting pan.
- Combine butter and sugar and mix until creamy, light and fluffy.
- Now add the eggs one at a time, mixing until well combined.
- Add in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon (You might want to sieve this in).
- Stir in the chopped apples.
- Put your batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until golden and cooked through when tested with a skewer.