I don't know about any body else but when its cold and blustery outside , I like nothing better than hankering down with a cup of tea and a great piece of cake (always homemade), baking that contains warming spices always seems so comforting to me. Chai tea is also very comforting so I decided to merge the two in this cake , I was very pleased with the resultant warmingly spiced tea loaf, deliciously moist and very moreish.
- 2 cups plain flour - sieved
- 2 tsp baking powder (level)
- 1/2 cup of sunflower margarine
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs free range
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1/2 cup of chai tea, cooled (I used vanilla chai tea bags by Pukka)
- 1/3 cup of skimmed milk
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pre heat your oven to 180c
- Oil spray your 2lb loaf tin and line lengthwise with a piece of grease proof paper or baking parchment
- In your mixer, mix all you ingredients until smooth and well incorporated, be careful not to over mix
- Pour into your prepared tin
- Bake for approximately 45 -50 minutes, until well risen, golden and tests cooked with a skewer
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from tin and leaving to cool fully on a wire rack .
- Stores well when wrapped in foil.