Recently at my weekly yoga class we held an informal 80th birthday party for a lady who attend regularly and is a great advert for the benefits of yoga, amazingly enough she had just returned from a month long tour of New Zealand too, so I for one will be carrying out practising yoga as long as I can.
As part of the birthday celebration my contribution was a lemon meringue birthday, which I was pretty proud of (the base recipe being a Fiona Cairns recipe from The Birthday Cake Book), as our yoga class is a quaint country church hall I couldn't adore the cake with candles through fear of setting off the fire alarm, so I resorted to raiding the garden for suitable edible greenery and flowers. I plumped for the fragrant yellow day lily and freshly picked lemon balm leaves.
As the birthday cake was topped with blousey meringues I had a couple of egg yolks left over so I came up with this recipe which is takes it inspiration from several sources, a Gino D'Acampo recipe for sultana cookies from Italian Baking and a lemon drizzle biscuit from Biscuit by Miranda Gore Brown.
What you need
- 85g butter - softened (needs to be very soft)
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks - left over from the meringue making
- Couple of drops of Fiori di Silica essence (from Bakery Bits)
- 175g plain flour - I used gluten free
- 50g fine cornmeal
- 85g dried cranberries - drained after being soaked in warm water for 20 minutes or so
What you do
- Pre heat the oven to 180c
- Mix all the ingredients except the cranberries in a mixer , until you have a course dough
- Add the cranberries to the mix and just incorporate until the mix comes together
- Take walnut sized lumps of dough and roll into balls, place on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment and flatten slightly
- The mixture makes approximately 18 - 20 cookies
- Bake for 15 -20 minutes until golden
- Cool on tray for a few minutes before carefully removing o a wire rack to cool fully
- Store in an airtight tin
We are linking up this month to Simply Eggcellent , the theme this month being anything goes created and hosted by Dom over at Belleau Kitchen. As this is recipe that uses egg yolks after making meringues.
We are linking up to Treat Petite this month - the theme being Lets Get Fruity ! created and co hosted by Cakeyboi and The Baking Explorer, as the resultant cookie is very fresh and fruity.
And also to Bake of the Week over at Casa Costello , which is a challenge for all things baking....