Tuesday 30 June 2015

Strawberry honey and lavender trifles, serendipity in a glass

A couple of weeks ago whilst browsing in TK Maxx I decided to treat myself to a madeleine tin and last weekend I finally got around to attempting to bake with the purchased tin, I researched quite a few recipes and I closely followed the instructions in my chosen recipe carefully buttering and flouring the tin,and deciding to add honey and lavender to the mixture.

Everything turned out fine, well mostly, other than not being able to extricate the madeline's from the tin, the actual sponge was lovely, well flavoured and light. I am not defeated and will try madeline's again but my first attempt left me with a quantity of beautiful sponge cakes that needed using up, so this trifle was born.





































This easy fruity delight used the disaster sponges to great effect and ensured no waste, so definitely serendipity in a glass. According to Mr LF a trifle is not a trifle unless it contains jelly, I think this must be a hark back to his child hood so this one does contain a fruit jelly layer, but its optional.

What you need

  • Quantity of sponge cake - crumbled (mine was flavoured with 1 tbsp honey and 1 teaspoon of edible lavender flowers)
  • Splash of sherry or some other suitable alcoholic beverage (mead would be good too), if for children you could use fruit juice
  • Strawberry jelly - cubes, crystals or made from juice and gelatine, I used sparkling fruit juice drink to give the jelly sparkle
  • Chopped fresh strawberries
  • Thick custard - homemade or custard pot
  • Creme fraiche or whipped cream 
  • Fresh fruit or sprinkles to decorate
  • Small quantity of edible lavender flowers for decoration
What you do
  • Take 4 glass tumblers and crumble the sponge cake into the bottom of the glass, splash with alcohol of your choice
  • Top with a small quantity of chopped strawberries
  • Mix up your jelly according to the instructions on the packet, I also make a stronger solution so I know it going to set well and pour into the glass about a third of the way up the glass.
  • Place in the fridge to set fully
  • One set top with custard and cream layers
  • Chill again and then serve topped with a sliced strawberry and strewn with lavender flowers.
Mr LF ate 2 in one sitting, so I am taking that as a recommendation that they are good. Plenty of traditional trifle flavour but with a hint of honey and lavender.

If you fancy having a go at the madeline's (you may have better success than me) then this is the recipe I used and tweaked by adding lavender instead of vanilla.





I am linking up to Credit Crunch Munch which I feel is totally appropriate as Iam using my rejects as the basis of a new recipe. Jointly run by Fab Food for All and Fuss Free Flavours


And to No Waste Food Challenge over at Elizabeths Kitchen 



no-waste-food-badge

And lastly recipe of the week over A Mummy Too

Link up your recipe of the week



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lavender and honey sound like a great pairing for strawberries in this trifle, good idea using the madeleines too. Thanks for sharing with Credit Crunch Munch :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...