Antonio is one of my food hero's an I have been lucky enough to meet him many many years ago, he is such a humble down to earth man, so approchable. Tiramisu means lift me up or pick me and was apparently created in the 1960's and first appearing in a recipe book in the 1980's.
Its an easy recipe and one I have used for many years, you can ring the changes with the alcohol added to the coffee (brandy, amaretto, sherry, kalhua, tia maria) and also you make this gluten free if you make some gluten free sponge or get hold of gluten free sponge fingers.
Traditionally made in a flat dish and cut into squares, I thought I'd ring the changes and use coffee cups instead.
What you need
- Marscapone cream - 1 tub
- Sponge fingers
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- vanilla paste
- Cocoa powder
- Expresso coffee
- Slug of alcohol (I like using amaretto for its almondy flavour)
What you need to do
- Mix the egg yolk and sugar in a bowl with about 1 tsp of vanilla paste
- Whisk the marscapone with the vanilla paste until soft and then stir in the egg mixture
- Next mix approximately small coffee cup of expresso and the slug of alcohol in a bowl, allow to cool slightly, so you can put your fingers comfortably in the mixture.
- Soak the sponge fingers in the coffee mixture until softened but not breaking up.
- Layer in the coffee cups with alternating layers of cheese/egg mix and the sponge fingers soaked in coffee
- Once you come to the top of the come, smooth off the final cheese/egg layer and sprinkle with cocoa
- Chill well and serve to your awaiting public.