Who doesn't like sticky gingerbread, the prefect accompainment to present wrapping and one sure fire way of putting in the festive mood.
This gingerbread is the sticky cakey kind and not the crunchy gingerbread man type of gingerbread, again not a beauty and a recipe that practically always sinks slightly in the middle but it has a beautiful spicy warmth with just the right amount of cloves. Easily made dairy and gluten free if required so its a recipe for all.
A tip for you - lightly oil the container you measure the treacle in otherwise it will make a very sticky mess.
What you need
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 50g granulated sugar
- 120g quality vegetable margarine (dairy free) - I use Pure
- 1 large free range egg
- 150ml treacle
- 300g Self raising flour ( I have made this gluten free and it works fine, you may need to a little more water)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 heaped tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 heaped tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- Pinch of salt
- 60ml of warm water
2lb loaf tin - oil sprayed and lined
What you do
- Prepare the baking tin
- Preheat the oven to 175c
- Cream the sugars and margarine in a mixer , until well mixed, fluffy and lighter in colour
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the mixer
- Mix quickly until you have a smooth mixture
- Scoop into the prepared tin and place in the pre heated oven
- Bake for 50 - 55 minutes
- Cool initially in the tin
- Remove from tin to a wire rack to cool fully
- Wrap and store in an airtight tin, if you can leave it for a few days its starts to go delightfully sticky.
- Delicious served with a cup of tea
We are linking up to Love Cake over on JibberJabberUk , theme this month is "Festive Fun"
Simply Eggcellent - with Dom at Belleau Kitchen, theme this month "Anything Goes"
And finally Recipe of the Week with A Mummy Too.