- 500g bag of parsnips, topped and tailed, peeled and chunky chopped
- 1 large white onion, peeled and chopped fairly finely
- 1 cup of red lentils
- Vegetable stock
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 small pack of Pancetta / or a couple of rashers of bacon chopped up into small pieces
- Small knob of butter
- Start by melting the butter in a large saucepan, once melted add your bacon and cook until golden, remove from pan
- Now add the chopped onion and parsnips and cooks for a few minutes without colouring, now add the red lentils to the pan and add enough vegetable to cover.
- Bring to the simmer and cook until the lentils have disintergrated and the parsnip is soft, watch the quantity of liquid you may need to add more water.
- Once cooked allow to cool slighty, then blend with a stick blender until you reach you desired consistency, add more water if you want a thinner soup.
- Add the bacon back to the pan and reheat gently
- Serve with crusty bread