Inspired by the classic Greek dish Moussaka and also as a way to use up courgettes from the garden this recipe was born. Its a delicious easy family dish which is pimped by the addition of some delicious chutney I received to review from FATJAX chutneys, which delivers a fresher flavour layer to the base bolognaise sauce.
- Low fat ground minced steak
- Onion - finely chopped
- Mixed herbs
- Beef stock and /or wine
- Tinned tomatoes
- Tomato puree
- 1/2 jar of FATJAX Mediterrean vegetable chutney.
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- 2 large courgettes, sliced using a potato peeler
- Potatoes , sliced and parboiled
- Parmesan cheese
- Fry off the onion in a little oil , then the garlic, then add the minced steak and cook until coloured
- Now add the beef stock, wine, tomato puree, chutney, tomatoes and mixed herbs, Stir and add a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Cook on a gentle simmer until the the mince is cooked and the vegetables softened
- Keep cooking until the suace is reduced and taste for seasoning
- Meanwhile make cooked off the courgette ribbons in a little oil in a seperate frying pan
- Once the courgette is softened, put the bolognaise sauce in the bottom of your chosen dish, top with the courgette ribbon and parboiled potato slices
- Now make a roux sauce, using the butter, flour and milk, season to taste
- Pour this on top of the potatoes
- Sprinkle the dish with grated Parmesan cheese
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 170c until golden and bubbling, about 30 minutes or so
- Delicious served with a dressed green salad.