Chocolate and Blackcurrant, gosh thats a difficult one ! This months We should cocoa challenge see the aforementioned combination as the challenge. Lucky for me our new blackcurrant bush has produced a small quantity of juicy berries just in time to take part in this challenge, otherwise I was planning to rummage in the drinks cabinet for some kirsch. Suppose depending on how this goes I might still resort to this !
I decided to not go too complicated and plumped for a delicious light friand with the addition of some juicy homegrown blackcurrants, Blackcurrants add an unusual twist to this homely bake. Most friand recipes use just egg whites but this one is with whole eggs,friands are apparently very popular in Australia and you can even buy special friand tins if you get hooked.
- 195g icing sugar (sifted)
- 75g plain flour (sifted)
- 30g Cocoa (sifted)
- 155g ground almonds
- 3 eggs - free range, whisked
- 180g butter , melted and cooled
- 100g blackcurrants
- icing sugar to dust
- melted butter or oil spray
- Plain flour to dust
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- Brush your tin with melted butter or spray with oil spray, dust with plain flour. I used a muffin tray
- Melt your butter and allow to cool
- Sift the icing sugar, flour, cocoa powder in to a bowl, add the ground almonds and then the melted butter and eggs.
- Stir until well mixed
- Spoon into your prepared tin and place a few blackcurrants onto the friand
- Bake until well risen and cooked through, approx 15-25 minutes ( this depends on your tin size)