Our household is the proud new owner of 3 new chickens to add to the existing flock of hens we already have. The old girls are still laying but their production is dropping off that why we have added to our flock.So this case is ideal if you don't have any eggs in or your hens are on a go slow. This recipe like my earlier vinegar cake recipe uses flavoured vinegar to give lift to the cake and to replace the eggs. Its also low fat as well as the recipe has a very small quantity of oil in it.
Like all vinegar cakes I have the feeling that the cake will improve with a couple of days wrapped in foil. The cake smelt delicious whilst baking pleasantly scenting the house, the original recipe used raspberry preserve and vinegar, however I substituted homemade strawberry jam and homemade strawberry vinegar as thats what I had, I also used instant coffee to enhance the the cocoa in the cake.
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 2tsp strawberry vinegar mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup strong instant coffee
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
- Sieve the flour, cocoa, sugar and bicarb into a large bowl
- Preheat your oven to about 180c, if fan about 160c
- Grease and base line a loose bottom cake tin
- Mix all the wet ingredients with the dry , work quickly and ensure everything is well mixed
- Your batter will be fairly stiff, dollop into your prepared tin and level
- Bake for approx 45 minutes until tested cooked with a skewer
- Allow to cool in tin
- Wrap and store for a couple of days before eating
- Delicious served alone or if you are not vegan yoghurt or creme fraiche.
I am sumbmitting this recipe for June 2012 - We should Cocoa -coffee challenge