Sunday 19 July 2015

Tomato, courgette and sweet potato soup






























Fresh, healthy homemade soup. What's not to like.....

I have probably said before that I am not a great fan of ready made soups and particularly those that come in packets and cans both for health and economy reasons, I tend to make most of the soup we eat from fresh vegetables and this recipe is no exception. Finding myself in the situation were I had a couple of courgettes and some tomatoes that were ageing fast, I thought I would combine them with butternut squash or sweet potato to make a wholesome soup, yet still summery.

A tasty easy recipe which would be a great way later in the season to use up glut tomatoes and courgettes if you have them, it looks like the recipe would freeze well but I haven't tried it.


What you need 
  • A little vegetable oil
  • Fresh or tinned tomatoes (don't worry about skins and pips as we are blending later)
  • Onion
  • Courgettes - topped tailed and sliced into half moons
  • Butternut squash or sweet potato - peeled, de-seeded(if squash) and chopped into small chunks
  • Vegetable stock
  • Salt and pepper
What you do 
  • Firstly prepare your vegetables
  • Gently fry in the oil the onion until softened but not coloured
  • Then add the courgette and butter nut / sweet potato to the pan
  • Again cook until starting to softened
  • Now add the tomatoes and stock to the pan
  • Simmer until all the vegetables are soft
  • Allow to cool slightly then blitz with a stick blender or in a liquidiser to desired consistency
  • Bring back to a simmer and then taste and season
  • Serve piping hot with crusty bread




























We are linking up to Recipe of the Week over on A Mummy Too

                                                              Link up your recipe of the week

Meat Free Mondays over on Tinned Tomatoes

                                                       

Extra Veg hosted in turn by Fuss Free Flavours and Utterly Scrummy
                                                 
                                                     

No croutons required hosted this month at Lisa's Kitchen

                                                               

10 comments:

Stephanie Jane said...

I often make a fresh homemade soup for lunch as it is the perfect way to use up left-over bits in the veggie rack! Today's is going to be cauliflower with a tsp of garam in it! I'm yet to find a veg combination that doesn't work although my OH is not so keen on root veggies souped. Too sweet apparently?

MuchRatherBake said...

I'm definitely trying this soup when the inevitable glut of courgettes come from my mums two plants. They aren't looking healthy at the moment but the same thing happened last year and suddenly we were over run with them. It isn't a combination I would have thought of but is one I'm looking forward to trying now.

Alison said...

I love tomato soup and your combination with sweet potato and courgette looks lovely

Unknown said...


Your posts are simply fabulous and inspiring . Thanks for the inspiration!
order online food

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This blog is awesome for provide more information about food product, Thanks for making!

Visit here for Samrasoi:- Indian Wedding Chicago

Mae Tyler said...

Soup with bread? A simple yet satisfying meal! I agree with you; it is more fun to prepare and cook your own soup rather than open cans of readymade ones, and it’s a lot healthier. I can even use some leftover ingredients from my previously cooked meals to prepare this dish. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Linzi!

Mae Tyler @ St Andrew Poultry

Lisa Turner said...

Wonderful use of seasonal vegetables. I don't care much at all for ready made soups myself. Thanks so much for sharing with NCR. The roundup is coming soon.

Helen said...

What a lovely soup and perfect for the end of summer and the start of autumn. Thanks for sending to #ExtraVeg, and sorry it took quite so long to come and visit.

Unknown said...

That's a yummy food I guess. Though I didn't have it before, I will try to have this soon. Online ordering food is much easier than cooking food. That's why I use ChefOnline website to order food online from my favourite restaurants.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...