Monday 11 March 2013

Carrot, parsnip and leek soup

I hate to waste food, so often as not I tend to make a soup with vegetables that are getting a bit long in the tooth in the bottom of the fridge. This soup was made with the remains of a pack of multi-coloured carrots I had picked up locally, a couple of parsnips and a sad and lonely leek.
The secret to a good soup is to use a quality stock, I either make my own (if I have time) mostly though I use a quality stock powder such as Essential Cuisine, I find their stocks are really tasty but light at the same time and not over salted.
This is a wholesome soup rich in vegetables and is ideal to serve to vegetarian guests and it complements homemade crusty bread perfectly.


Ingredients
  • Carrots - peeled and finely diced
  • Parsnips - peeled and finely diced
  • 1 large leeks, washed and sliced into rings
  • A little vegetable oil
  • Vegetable stock or butter
  • Salt and Pepper
Method

  • Warm a little vegetable oil in a large saucepan
  • Fry the chopped vegetables very gently (sweat) without colouring
  • Stir frequently to make sure no vegetables catch
  • Add enough stock to cover the vegetables, bring to a gentle simmer
  • Simmer, covered until the vegetable are softened.
  • Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly
  • Blend with a hand blender to your desired consistency
  • Add a little more stock to thin and taste for seasoning
  • Bring back to a gentle simmer, serve in attractive soup bowls


1 comment:

Unknown said...

It’s amazing to read your blog! I really loved it. Even I sharing a Link of 'Indian Recipes cooking show', 'Indian Cooking Recipe', 'Indian Cooking' do check its awesome & helpful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...