Monday 5 March 2012

Spicy Torus Cake aka Spicy Bundt Cake

I have secumbed to the trend sweeping through the baking nation , I have purchased a bundt or kugelhopf tin ! According to Mr B the correct geometrical term for this shape is a torus so that is what this cake has now been christened. Given that most recipes are from the US of A and thats where I have taken my inspiration from, this recipe is in cups, now I know that some bakers detest american cups but personally I love them, you just have to commit and buy a good set to get good results.
I love spiced cakes, my favourite spice being cinnamon, this recipe features both cinnamon and cloves, the warm comforting aroma that rises from the oven when baking is delightful  and  it scents the whole kitchen.


Ingredients

  • 1 cup vegetable margarine
  • 2 cups of caster sugar
  • 3 eggs - free range
  • 3 cups plain flour
  • 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp ground cloves
  • 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk ( if you can't get it milk acidified with lemon juice)
  • Icing sugar to spinkle 
Method
  • Preheat your oven to 180c
  • Grease / oil your tin
  • Cream your margarine and sugar until light and fluffy, use a mixer if you have one.
  • Add your eggs , don't worry about the curdled look
  • Add the flour, cinnamon, cloves, salt and bicarb, sift as you go.
  • Mix well and pour into your prepared tin.
  • Smooth top
  • Bake for 50-55 mins until tested as cooked
  • Cool in tin for 10 mins and then turn out to cool fully on wire rack.
  • Dust with icing sugar to serve.

In celebration of the bundt , I am linking this post to DollyBakes National Bundt Day UK celebration




1 comment:

Choclette said...

Looks lovely, love the shape, love the spices. I've been looking for a silicone ring mould for forever it seems - no luck so far. Like our rechristened Torus too

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...