Friday 18 November 2011

Smoked haddock and leek chowder

This is one of my favourite soup, so warming and comforting. Its loosely based on a recipe in "New Covent Garden Soup - Book of Soups" one of my extensive collection of cookery books. I first had their version off their stand that used to be on London Euston railway station, on a business trip. I make my version fairly regularly throughout the winter season, its easy to substitute the smoked haddock for salmon or prawns and the leek for onion, you could also add sweetcorn too.I used Leeks today as I had a fresh supply from the garden.


Ingredients
  • Large knob of butter
  • 2 large leeks - cleaned and chopped
  • 2 large potatoes - peeled and chunky chopped
  • 500ml fish stock - a stock cube is fine
  • 1 largeish piece of smoked haddock, cooked, de-skinned and flaked and any bones removed
  • Pepper
  • Dill Weed
Method

Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add 2/3rds of the chopped leeks and potatoes to the pan, cook gently without colouring for about 5 minutes, then add the stock and bring to a simmer, cook until the vegetables are just softened. Now allow your soup to cool and use a stick blender to liquidise until smooth. Now add the rest of the vegetables and bring back to simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, if you need to add more water you can do, add the flaked fish and dill weed, taste and season. You probably won't need any salt as smoked haddock is fairly salty.

Serve garnished with parsley or a swirl of cream or both if you wish.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Looks very good and I loved smoked haddock its one of my favourite things ever. Must try this one. x

Best Seattle search engine optimization click here said...

We LOVE LOVE LOVE… Did I say, LOVE our Chowders. This looks and sounds Amazing! My husband loves Smoked Salmon so I can’t wait to give this one a try. Pinning!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...