Thursday 20 October 2011

Apple Cake

Maple apple cake was my second bake for the South Lancashire Clandestine Cake Club, despite a cake malfunction which involved shedding most of the icing and a broken plate whilst transporting the cake to the meeting, the cake turned out well and was incredibly light yet moist. I hope all my cakey friends enjoyed it. Sorry I haven't a piccy, I 'll have to bake it again, in the meantime here's the recipe.

Ingredients
  • 400g cooking apples
  • 3/4tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2tsp maple syrup
  • 125ml sunflower oil
  • 150g light brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 lemon grated zest
  • 2 large free range eggs
  • 275g plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1tsp bicarb of soda
  • good pinch of salt
  • 2 large free range egg whites
Method

Preheat your oven to 180c. Peel, core and the apples, cut into approx 1cm chunks and toss in a bowl with the cinnamon and maple syrup. Now mix the oil, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and sugar in a mixer, until fluffy, break in the eggs and whisk until fluffy.

Now sift the flour, powders( salt, bicarb, etc), into the bowl and mix, add the apple mixture and stir,  this will be a stiff mixture.

Whisk the egg whites ( I use my lovely Kitchenaid mixer) until at the stiff peak, now fold into the other mixture trying not to lose air. Spoon into your prepared (base lined and oiled tin), I used a round springform tin approx 8 inch across, or you could use a tray approx 25x20x5cm.

Bake for approx 30-35 mins until cooked through, well risen and golden.

Allow to cool in the tin and then on a wire rack. I iced mine with a cinnamon soft cheese icing, but its so pretty that you don't really need to.

Store in an airtight tin.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Malfunction or not it was a dammm goooood cake. Enjoyed it! x

Choclette said...

I bet they loved it, sounds delicious. I've not tried apple cake with maple syrup before, but I bet it's a great combination. So envious of your cake club, it sounds such fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...