Mr Lancashire Food picked a large quantity of Rhubarb from the garden this weekend, so rather than just freeze it I decide I would experiment. After making a tray of honeyed rhubarb, the ice cream mood took hold, so I came up with a frozen yogurt alternative using items I had readily found in the fridge. This will satisfy any cravings for a sweet cool dessert you have , it would also be great served with hot puddings or fancied up with shortbread or other biscuits.
- 1 kg Rhubarb, cut in small pieces
- Honey - 4 tbsp
- Orange / lemon - grated zest and juice
Just place your rhubarb in an oven tray, drizzle with the honey and the zest and juice, bake in a 150C oven for about an oven until soft and slightly golden
1/2 of a large pot of low fat vanilla yogurt
1/2 pot of low fat creme fraiche
1 tsp vanilla paste
2 tbsp honey
1 ramekin of honeyed rhubarb
- Mix the yogurt, creme fraiche, vanilla and honey in a large bowl
- Stir in the honeyed rhubarb
- Pour in to your ice cream maker, churn until softly frozen
- If you don't have an ice cream maker then place in a freezer suitable tub in the freezer , remove approximately every half an hour and stir vigorously.
- Store in the freezer until you want to use.
- Serve as you would ice cream
This post is my contribution to Frugal Food Fridays from fuss free flavours and guest hosted by Blue Kitchen bakes this month